Friday, October 21, 2011

Chicken and Greek Salad Lettuce Wrap

Yesterday evening, I was headed home from the driving range (we can talk about this new obsession of mine another time), and since I'd already went out for my daily run (also something to discuss another time), I was starving! I had about a 30 minute drive home which gave me lots of time to think of what I wanted to eat. I knew what was in my refrigerator, and I knew I had chicken I needed to put to use so I decided I would go with a new favorite of mine - greek salad, and build from there. Unfortunately when I decided to add the greek salad with chicken and make lettuce wraps I did have to run into the grocery store to actually buy lettuce, but once I was home, I had my dinner ready in 20 minutes (the time it took to poach and shred the chicken).

Here are the ingredients:


(chicken tenders, cucumber, tomato, feta cheese, olive oil, red wine vinegar, pepper, salt, and a packet of Splenda)

If you don't know how to poach chicken, you should learn! It's one of the easiest ways to prepare it. I love seasoning on chicken, so I loaded mine with garlic and pepper before putting in the pan to cook. Once that got going I started on the vegetables:



Peel the cucumber, chop it up, then chop up your tomato and purple onion (forgot to put that ingredient in the first photo - oops!!)

I probably should go ahead and tell you unless I'm baking something that needs precise measurements, I don't like to take the time to get out measuring spoons. I'm lazy like that, so I just wing it. For the greek salad dressing I went with Pioneer Woman's ingredients - olive oil, red wine vinegar, and sugar (I used Splenda) to cut the bitterness. If I had to guess, I used a TBSP of each and half the packet of Splenda, but I was only making this for myself. You'll definitely need more if you're cooking for more than one. I also added black pepper to the dressing since I really can't get enough pepper.

Once the chicken was cooked through, I took two forks and shredded into big chunks. If I was making shredded meat for tacos, I would've gotten much crazier with it, but I thought big chunks would work for this. Then I took a couple pieces of iceberg and built my wrap by adding chicken, the veggies mixed together, and some crumbled feta. I poured the dressing on top, but, if you want, you could easily put the dressing in a small bowl and dip your wrap into.

And here's the finished product:



It was light, flavorful, and definitely hit the spot! For those of you that like greek salad you probably noticed I left out the olives. If I have a can, I use them, but I didn't this time so it worked fine without it. For those of you that don't like greek salad. Sorry! I'll hopefully make something you're willing to eat next time.

Chicken and Greek Salad Lettuce Wrap

Chicken Breast or Tenders (seasoned with garlic and pepper)
1 Cucumber
1 Tomato
1/2 Purple Onion
Iceberg Lettuce
Feta Cheese (to taste)
Olives (optional)

Greek Salad Dressing (makes 1 serving)
1 TBSP Olive Oil
1 TBSP Red Wine Vinegar
Packet of Splenda (sweeten to taste)
Black Pepper (to taste)

Poach Chicken until cooked
Peel, slice, and chop cucumber
Slice tomato and 1/2 of purple onion then combine all 3 vegetables
Once chicken is cooked, remove from pan, and shred with two forks
Tear off lettuce leaves and lay flat to add chicken, veggies, and feta cheese
Pour on or dip wrap into dressing

On a final note, I'll be sure to try and make my meals when it's still daylight out. These pictures under a fluorescent kitchen light don't necessarily make me want to eat what's on the plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment